Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Wednesday - Hospital, Henna, Beach

Once again, this morning was spent at the hospital. One of the last things I wanted to see while at Coast General Hospital was a live natural birth, so I started off in maternity. There were two women in labor one of which was expected to deliver naturally and the other was having some complications and would most likely be taken up to have a C-section. We hung out for a while (patience is key in this ward) and eventually the nurse came to tell us that she was ready to push. The whole experience was almost exactly what I would have expected, with one exception. The mothers don’t receive any medication while in labor and I have yet to hear one scream. They just act like it is no big deal. The natural birth completed my list of things I wanted to witness, and now the adoption route is looking much more enticing.
            The delivery process took a while, so it was noon before I left the maternity ward. A few of us girls had been planning to get some authentic henna tattoos. We were admiring one of the doctor’s tattoos and she referred us to her aunt to do them for us. Megan and I walked over there when we left the hospital and for only 200 shillings I got a tattoo on my arm and my foot! I love it! 



After the henna dries, you scratch off the paste and it leaves a temporary stain on your skin
 After lunch a few of us enjoyed one more day at the beach in the sun. When the tide came in and the shade covered our towels, we went back to the compound for dinner. We utilized the free WiFi at CafĂ© Mocha this evening, but I plan to call it an early evening tonight now that my blog is up to date once again! Sorry for the delay!

No comments:

Post a Comment